We're a management consulting firm that helps organizations to transform and optimize performance. Our leadership is trained in diverse yet interconnected disciplines of: law, strategic management, economics, and political science. We bring you rich perspectives from our experience in law and business. We take a multi-disciplinary and holistic approach to devising solutions, leveraging lateral thinking and creativity. We examine your operations and help you understand how the elements in your 'machine' are connected and what levers to move to maximize results.
In everything we do, we are guided by our values. We have a deep commitment to respecting human dignity. We believe in the potential of human ability and human goodness to accomplish the unimaginable.
- Lead Business Strategist
- Masters in Management (top graduate, with distinction) – University of York, U.K., 2017
- Called to the Bar – Ontario, 2007
- LL.B. / J.D. (top tier graduate) – Osgoode Hall Law School, 2006
- Bachelors (with distinction) in Business & Society: Economics & Political Science –
York University, 2003
Awards & Recognition.
Awards & Recognition – Details:
Exceptional Performance Ratings – A Top 10 insurer
Led work that contributed multi-million dollar impacts to the bottom line annually. Recognized for exceptional performance in developing, implementing and/or managing strategy and transformation in the areas of: value-based litigation program | in-house strategic Claims Legal | win-win vendor management | strategic partnerships | Claims cost management | subrogation | counter-fraud | bodily injury claims | accident benefits claims | Claims data & analytics | Claims-Actuarial insights | budgeting and planning | workforce management | process improvement | change management | high performing teams | employee engagement | technology projects and implementations.
91% Employee Engagement Score – A Top 10 insurer
Score calculated as part of organization's employee engagement survey, reflecting the opinions of the teams led, covering the following business areas (national scope): internal strategic legal counsel; external legal vendor management; Claims cost management and analysis; Claims Accident Benefits strategy; and Claims Bodily Injury strategy.
Highest Award Mark – Masters Management, University of York, U.K.
The University of York is one of the world's leading universities; a member of the elite Russell Group of universities. Our Founder graduated at the top of her class with the highest overall mark, 9 distinctions across 10 modules, and 6 subject prizes.
Top Dissertation – Strategic Management, University of York, U.K.
Our Founder's dissertation focused on strategic management including the value of emotions, emotional intelligence, and micro-perspectives in strategic management. She believes that the best strategies are those that are informed by learning approaches at the micro-level, leveraging human competencies, intuitive expertise, and affective dimensions as a dynamic capability; defining a success recipe through observation, trials, reflection, refinement, and practice.
The Bravissimo Award of Excellence – Canada's Leading P&C Insurance Company
This award - the company's most prestigious award of excellence - was in recognition of notable achievements with lasting impact to the organization. Specifically, the award recognized unprecedented success in developing, implementing and managing a new litigation management strategy, with multi-million dollar impact to the company's bottom line. The award also related to excellence in leading a high-performing team, excellence in vendor management, lasting contribution to policies and procedures, and alignment with corporate values. Our Founder led the team that received this award.
BravoPlus Awards (Three): for Outstanding Impact on Multiple Business Units – Canada's Leading P&C Insurance Company
These awards were in recognition of significant strategic contributions to multiple business units at Canada's leading property & casualty insurance company. Areas included vendor negotiations, contract management, and vendor strategy.
Outstanding performance – One of Canada's top business law firms & a spin-off boutique
Top reviews for excellence in legal work and client service; contributions to diversity & equity, pro bono, mentorship and recruitment initiatives; contribution to team interventions at the Supreme Court of Canada regarding civil liberties matters; and contributions to an international human rights matter and at the Ashley Smith Inquest.
Dean's Gold Key Award – Osgoode Hall Law School
In recognition of excellence, exceptional leadership, commitment, and enthusiasm.
Best combined academic excellence and leadership – Osgoode Hall Law School
The Torkin Manes Cohen Arbus LLP Prize.
Two-time Recipient: Hallett Scholarship – Osgoode Hall Law School
The Harley D. Hallett Renewable Scholarship is among the most prestigious scholarships at Canadian law schools.
Other distinctions – Osgoode Law & York University
Osgoode Dean’s Fellow | Advanced Labour Law Prize (Stringer, Brisbin, Humphrey Essay Prize) | Dean’s Honour Roll | Continuing Student Scholarship | Sessional Academic Achievement Lists | Dean's Scholarship | Entrance Scholarship | Residence Don Designation | others.
High Profile Matters.
- Supreme Court of Canada: intervention in Ted Opitz v. Borys Wrzesnewskyj
- Intervention in The Ashley Smith Inquest
- Supreme Court of Canada: intervention in Miazga v. Kvello Estate
- Supreme Court of Canada: intervention in Hill v. Hamilton-Wentworth
- Supreme Court of Canada: intervention in R. v. A.M.
- International human rights effort: on behalf of Stephen Lewis' organization
We are committed to social responsibility and community development.
Current / recent community involvement includes:
- Co-Founder & Official Advisor: Diversity Initiatives and Employee Resource Group – A top 10 Canadian insurer
- Advisor to professional associations and student associations
- Volunteer advisory services to a mental health charity
- Mentorship to law students, young lawyers and young professionals in financial services, insurance, and healthcare services
- Volunteer dance Instructor to mental health and autism charities
- Member – CAUFP (Canadian Association of Urban Financial Professionals)
- Member – IMA (Institute of Management Accountants)
- Board Member – CANATICS (Canadian National Insurance Crime Services), 2018
- Advisor to dance companies, 2007 - 2017
Media & Speaking.
- Panellist – Law Society of Ontario & Canadian Association of Black Lawyers: “Strategy Toolkit for BIPOC Inclusion”. Feb. 25, 2021
- Author – The Lawyer's Daily, “Insurance regulator's draft unfair practices rule and innovation”. Jan. 29, 2021
- Speaker – University of York Management Program: Faculty Induction, 2016
- Media Interview CBC TV (Breaking News) – regarding Supreme Court of Canada decision in Etobicoke Centre election appeal. Interviewed by Reshmi Nair.
- Media Quote – Law Times, “Lawyers mentor 24 inner-city high school students”, by Robert Todd.
- Media Quote and Feature – Toronto Star, "Law Firm Committed to the Principles of Workplace Diversity", by Emily Mathieu.
- Panellist (two years) – Osgoode Hall Law School Academic Success Program: “From Keele Street to Bay Street: Research and Writing Skills Necessary to Succeed in the Legal Profession”.
- Moderator – BLSAC Conference: “Alternative Dispute Resolution”.
- Moderator – The Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) and CABL: “Alternative Dispute Resolution through the Prism of Diversity”.
- Key-note Speaker – BLSAC Conference: “Private Practice, Pro Bono and Human Rights”.
- Author – OBA, Privacy Law Section, Eye on privacy, “The Companion Sniffer Dog cases: R v. Kang-Brown and R. v. A.M.”.
- Co-author – Law Times, “Caron shows need for public-interest funding”.
- Co-author – Koch Thornton LLP Case Brief, "Supreme Court of Canada Affirms Monetary Damages for a Charter Breach as a Viable Civil Claim: Vancouver (City) v. Ward”.
- Co-author – Blakes Bulletin on Litigation, Supreme Court of Canada ruling re tort of malicious prosecution.
- Co-author – Blakes Bulletin on Litigation, "Supreme Court of Canada Allows Suits Against Police for Negligent Investigations".